Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Late-Blooming Eclectic Reader



My mama grew up in the country and had a sixth grade education.  I don't ever recall her reading to me, but she made sure I went to school and learned to read, along with all the other subjects I wasn't interested in.  I wanted to be outdoors - all the time - where it was peaceful.  We lived on a small farm and I didn't even mind slopping the hogs or gathering eggs because no one was trying to get my attention. 

When I was in grade school, no one had heard of ADD and I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30's.  By then I had taught myself how to "tune out" distractions in order to earn a living, but I didn't become interested in reading until I started college at the tender age of 45.  I developed a friendship with the director of food services at the college I was attending and he had his nose in a book whenever he had the time.  Curious, I began to borrow his books, which were the latest best sellers, and began the amazing journey into the world of books.  I found that his books were to my taste (mainly thriller mysteries, with interesting, intelligent characters), but soon I began to venture into other literary avenues as well.  My tastes now run from historical fiction to murder mystries to horror and more.

I became a ravenous reader and ingested the tastiest items to be borrowed from my friend or the college library.  I was also blessed with an English professor who mentored me, suggesting classics (Shakespeare and I became very well acquainted) as well as current authors of note.  By the time I graduated with a B. A. degree, I was afraid I was going to have to rent a truck just for my book collection!  I packed boxes and boxes and boxes of books when I moved.

Fortunately, I  had been reading to my son, even before he was born (which drew some strange looks in the park where I had my lunch break), and to my surprise he took to it like a duck takes to water.  And by the time I graduated from college, we found that we had similar tastes (even Shakespeare!) and often gifted each other with books.  To my amusement and pleasure I introduced my son to Isaac Asimov and Stephen King.  He just couldn't believe and old woman like me could be "cool" enough to like them both!

We were planning a trip to the library yesterday, but then remembered it's Friday and our town (I believe I've referred to our intelligent, highly ethical local government in the past) doesn't support the library well enough for it to be open on Friday any more.  Oh well, there's always Monday.  We can roam the aisles and peruse the computer catalog for new material.  Maybe I'll read The Stand again.  Or maybe a novel by Mauve Benchy.  Who knows?  Perhaps I'll discover a new writer I can't get enough of. 

In the meantime, dear reader, check out eCrater Stores Network for great books!   And keep an eye out as I begin to loosen my death grip (good grief, am I becoming a hoarder?) on the books stacked everywhere in my home!

eCrater Store Network

My eCrater Store

No comments: